Wednesday, January 25
Black ink exploded everywhere! And when I say everywhere, I mean my face, my hair, my hands, down my shirt, up my arms, and all over my light grey carpet. Whats a girl to do??? Clean up the carpet, or you face first? I opted for the face after sitting there in utter terror for about 30 seconds. It could have gotten into my eyes right?
Meanwhile, my two oldest boys(who had witnessed this whole event) were sitting on the couch laughing their heads off.
Well let me tell ya, black ink does not come off easy. I still have spots on my face, and a couple of black eyebrows until it wears off. My carpet? Well it's done. We need to get a new one. Fortunately, we are doing a major renovation in the spring ( a 950 sq ft addition) and I suppose I could throw in a new carpet for the livingroom. Until then....all visitors beware, I have a leopard spotted carpet, and it will be that way for another month or two.
On a brighter note, I am bringing home a spinning wheel today!!!!!! My local Weavers and Spinners guild is giving me a loaner for as long as I need to make a descision on which wheel I want to buy. YAY!!!!!
Just for you...I will complete this meme cause it's short. Although I'm not that unusual..
What are you 5 most unusual habits?
1. I like to have a coffee before bed. It doesn't keep me awake!
2. I dip onion rings in ranch dressing. YUMMM
3. I bring my swatch knitting into the bathroom if I know I'll be there a while.
4. I scrub my floor by hand (i hate using mops)
5. I steep my tea for at least 10 minutes...i like it strong!
I have no idea who to tag,
1. anyone who wants to play
2. anyone who wants to play
3. Anyone who wants to play
4. anyone who wants to play
(you get the idea)
Friday, January 20
You have the most exquisite taste pal, i have to say. The yarn is divine. The perfect colour, and so soft. The candle is one of the nicest scents I have had the pleasure of putting my nose to in a long time, the coffee mug...priceless(no one else in the house will dare touch it!) Finally, the yummy chocolate goodness and the delectable teas.....mmmmmm....tonight will be a great night. As soon as all the kiddos are in bed, I'm breaking out all of this awesome stuff and having a mommy night alone. Me, my yarn, and my chocolate with a cup of tea to wash it all down. Marc is working tonight, so I can enjoy it all to myself! YAY! Just what a stressed out mom of 4 needed at the end of a truly stressful week. You're the best ! I hope you get as many nice goodies from your pal.
Thursday, January 19
It is the Smock Jacket from the Debbie Bliss Celtic Collection. I have had the book for 2 years now and have yet to knit a pattern from it. I think it will be a challenge for me to complete in 16 days. Wish me luck!
On other news...I'd like to say hello and thankyou to my awesome secret pal who has been spoiling me with funny e-cards and e-mails for the last week or so. THANKS! You always make my day!
Wednesday, January 11
Recently, all I have been obsessed about is knitting socks and buying sock yarn. I bought a new digital camera yesterday, so I had to try it out. Here is he first of my latest pair of socks. They are in a self patterning jacquard wool from Lane Cervinia. My husband has decided he loves to wear handknit socks. I am happy to oblige!
Monday, January 9
1. I have blue eyes
2. People say my eyes are my best feature
3. I am insecure about my appearance.
4. I love my family
5. My husband is my best friend.
6. I have four kids.
7. People say that's alot these days, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
8. People don't believe I have four kids because they say I look too young.
9. Sometimes my kids drive me crazy.
10. It's a good crazy though.
11. I learned to knit when I was 5.
12. I wish I could make a career out of knitting.
13. I also Quilt and Cross-stitch, but they aren't my first love.
14. People say I'm a creative soul.
15. I drive my family crazy with my crafting obssesions.
16. I don't think I could survive without my yarn.
17. I hide yarn.
18. my 9 year old son is just like me.
19. I taught him to knit last summer.
20. He hasn't put the needles down yet.
21.I have a sick obsession with buying paterns, books and magazines.
22. They have begun to take over my house.
23. This upsets my husband sometimes.
24. When he gives up golf...I'll give up knitting. (yeah right)
25.I don't drink alot.
26. When I do drink I tend to get drunk really fast.
27. I used to be a bartender in my early 20's.
28. Nothing tastes better to me than a Tim Horton's coffee.
29. I couldn't survive without coffee.
30. If trapped on a desert island i'd need my knitting, knitting magazines and coffee. Oh yeah and my husband and kids.
31. My favorite singer is Celine Dion.
32. My husband hates her.
33. I don't care...I think angels gave her her voice.
34. Crunchy snow makes my teeth hurt.
35. Cotton balls do too.
36. I hate the feeling of dry sand on my feet.
37. I love the ocean.
38. I was born to travel.
39. With 4 kids we can't afford too.
40. When we retire we are gone!!!!
41. I have 5 sisters
42. They are all beautiful.
43. We didn't get along as kids.
44. We are all best friends now.
45. I am very easy-going.
46. My husband has a bad tremper.
47. I tend to be the mediator in my family.
48. I am still very close to my parents.
50. I live 500km away from them
51. We talk at least twice a week.
52. My favorite colour is green.
53. I love to sing
54. I have a terrible voice.
55. I wish my house was bigger.
56. My husband's grandmother raised 4 kids in it.
57. I don't know how she did it.
58. I cry when I watch movies.
59. I love all food.
60. Only thing I can't stomach is kidney beans (chili)
61. I'm willing to try anything once.
62. I am a good cook.
63. I am a better baker.
64. I have my own wedding cake business.
65.I don't charge enough for my cakes.
66. I have designed a few knitting patterns
67. I am to self- concious to write them out and share them.
68. One day I would like to write a book.
69. I hope it gets published.
70. I love to read.
71.John Grisham is my favorite author.
72. I haven't read one of his books in a couple of years.
74.I love puzzles.
75. I am freakishly fast at them.
76.I'd love to learn to spin.
77. My husband doesn't think a wheel would fit in the house.
78. I just laugh at the silly man.
79. Is he kidding?
80. I need to save up for a wheel.
81. I love to kool-aid dye yarn with the kids.
82. They are always amazed at how the yarn sucks up the colour.
83. I've learned to always wear gloves when using kool-aid.
84. Red milk does not taste good.
85. I like meeting people online
86. There are alot of knitters just like me(who knew?)
87. I never knit anything for myself.
88. I like giving to others
89. Some people appreciate hand knit items
90. Some don't.
91. Those that don't probably haven't a creative bone in their body.
92. I love getting handmade gifts.
93 I love handwritten letters even more.
94.I am very impatient.
95. This list seems boring to me.
96.I'd rather be knitting.
97. My husband wants me off the computer.
98. I hope no-one got bored reading this.
99. I got bored reading this.
100. I think knit bloggers rock!
Saturday, January 7
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand?
Love all yarn, although I have in recent years shifted more towards natural fibre only. It makes a project a little more special, and feels much nicer to work with.
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I dabble in crochet here and there (when I have to) and I am dying to learn to spin. I am saving up right now for a spinning wheel.
3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I made myself a needle roll, and just recently got another beautiful one for Christmas from my sister. Crochet hooks and other notions go in a small makeup tote.
4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I have been knitting since the age of 5 so... about 25 years (not including the 1 or 2 year hiatus in high school when I didn't think it was cool). I consider myself advanced. Not too many patterns faze me anymore. Except Intarsia ones with a gazillion colours.
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I do now although I can't figure out how to link it to my blog ;-(
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Vanilla or berries anything natural or "home-baked" scented.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
My sweet of choice lately is Kit-Kat bars, but chocolate anything rocks!
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I belong to a quilting guild and I do a bit of cross stitch
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
My favorite band right now is Cold Play, although I do love all kinds of music. A little bit of everything. Love Celine, Billy Joel, Usher, Evanesence, Shania, Garth. I could go on and on...LOVE MUSIC. I just bought a great new computer with all the bells and whistles so yes I can play just about anything.
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
I'm really into green lately, but I also love neutral colours. Most of my house is in neutral beiges and Sage green.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I am a stay at home mom of 4 kids Boy 9, Boy5, Girl 16 mos and Boy 4 mos. I have to go back to work in October ( waaaaah). Although I'm trying to find a way to stay at home. No pets, but I did have dogs my whole life until I met my husband. He is terrified of them.
12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I look yucky in ponchos, but I never leave home without my hat, scarf and mittens. (it's cold here in northern Ontario)
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
My new addiction is sock yarn. I have recently fallen in love with sock knitting.
Love Koigu, Opal, and Patons Kroy in funky stripey colours.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Not crazy about fun fur yarn
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
See above *definitely sock knitting* although I have also taken to lace kniting recently.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I love to make socks and sweaters for my sisters. Afghans and stoles come in a close second. I also like knit tote-bags. Felting is fun!! Scarves and mittens are a great "mindless" project when I need to relax
17. What are you knitting right now?
A pair of socks in lane Cervinia forever Jaquard in colour 70, A lace stole in wine coloured merino wool, a soon to be felted tote-bag in Patons classic Merino ( purple) and a pair of later gator mittens fron SnB Nation For son # 2
18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
Depends on the project. I do my socks on dpns though. Haven't gotten the 2 circulars thing down smooth yet.
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Mostly aluminum, but love bamboo for cotton yarns.
21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
No but wish I did.
22. How did you learn to knit?
My mom taught me when I was 5 after I begged her for ages. I haven't looked back since.
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
3 Years. A pink boucle baby sweater I was making for a friends baby that was frustrating me to no end. I doubt it will ever see the light of day again lol.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
I love elephants. I have a large collection of them
25. What is your favorite holiday?
Thanksgiving. A chance to see family without all the Christmas hubbubaloo.
26. Is there anything that you collect?
Ummm..........Yarn.. lol and elephants. I also have an embarrisingly huge collection of knitting patterns and magazines.
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Cast-On, and Creative knitting.
28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?
I have been eying the Knitting Vintage Socks book....as well as the Hand Knit Holidays book.
29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Would love to perfect knitting two socks at once on circulars
30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yesiree. umm.... not too sure about my own foot measurements cause I have never knit myself socks. Size 6 if that help lol.
31. When is your birthday?
There you have it! List complete.
Whew! now I need a drink!
Thursday, January 5
On the knitting front... I recieved a huge box of goodies from here yesterday and I can't wait to dig into it. I hope to post a pic of my lovely box o' treats as soon as I can. On the list to start are 3 pairs of socks, a scarf and hat set for me..and a sweater for my son. I managed to finish up 2 of my WIP's since the start of the new year so I think I've earned another project or two on the needles.
Off to my knitting chair while the babies are still sleeping!